For centuries, people have been thronging the ghats on the Shipra not only for holy baths but also to perform life-cycle rituals. The most important ghat is Ram Ghat where every evening a spectacular ritual, sandhya aarti is held. Priests gather at sundown to worship the sacred river with flowers, incense, sandalwood and vermillion.
Dedicated to Siva, was rebuilt by Marathas in the 18th century. The temple lingam is one of the 12 jyotirlingas.
Chaubis Khambha Darwaza
(circa 11th century) has 24 carved pillars which probably belonged to the medieval temple
Locally known as Jantar Mantar, is an observatory southwest of town, built by Raja Jai Singh II of Jaipur around (1688-1743) when he was the Governor of Malwa under the Mughals. Small, compared to the jantar mantars, it has only five instruments. Even today the Ephemeris tables (predicted positions of the planets), are published here.
Kaliadeh PalaceThe scenic Kaliadeh palace was constructed in 1458 during the reign of Mahmud Khilji of Malwa. The beautiful palace located on a small island on the Shipra with man-made tanks and waterways inside the complex, exudes the illusion that the entire structure is floating on the sacred waters. The palace complex was restored by Madhorao Scindia of Gwalior in the 1920s
Vikram Kirti Mandirwas established in 1944 to mark the second millennium of the Vikram era. It houses the Scindia Oriental Research institute (SORI), a rich library, an archaeological museum, an art gallery and an auditorium.